The foundation of everything we do and who we strive to be at MHHS is based on our mission, vision, values and freedoms.
Transforming the lives of animals and people through partnerships, protection and hope.
We will create a community where all animals are provided with humane care.
Compassion - We foster a kind and gentle environment for animals and people.
Advocacy - We create community partnerships to educate, protect and prevent cruelty to animals.
Respect - We acknowledge and value each person's contribution to our organization.
Excellence - We cultivate organizational quality and innovation.
Stewardship - We are accountable for all resources entrusted to us to ensure our future.
The Five Freedoms
The welfare of an animal includes its physical and mental state. We believe there are five fundamental freedoms to which every animal is entitled:
1. Freedom from Hunger and Thirst by ready access to fresh water and diet to maintain health and vigor
2. Freedom from Discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
3. Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
4. Freedom to Express Normal Behavior by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind
5. Freedom from Fear and Distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering