Our goal is to place all of our animals in responsible, loving homes. Matching a pet to a family can take a bit of time, so arrive by 5 pm if you are considering adoption. The wait to see an adoption counselor can be as long as an hour at peak times, so do plan accordingly.
What you can expect:
- Provide a copy of your photo ID and fill out an Adopter Profile
- Meet with a counselor to discuss your lifestyle and expectations
- Meet the pet of your choice (maximum of two in a row, to be fair to others who are waiting)
- All members of the household must meet the adoptable pet
- Adoptable dogs require meet-and-greets with resident dogs
- We will hold a pet for 24 hours for family members and resident dogs to visit
- In most cases, if all household members have met and you and the counselor agree it is a good match, your new family member can go home with you the same day.
- Cats MUST leave in a carrier. You may bring your own or you may purchase one from us.
- A basic Martingale collar and leash are included with each dog adoption. Upgrades are available from us.
To ensure the healthiest start possible, your new pet comes to you with a starter bag of dry food and is:
- Tested (FeLV for cats, heartworm for dogs)
- Vaccinated (rabies and distemper)
- Treated for common parasites (fleas, ticks, worms)
In addition to our Animal Care Center in Menands, we have cats available at PetSmart in Glenmont at 241 Route 9W (Hours >>). MHHS also conducts adoption clinics at various locations throughout the Capital District. Visit our Calendar of Events for dates and locations of additional adoption events all year long.
Adoption fees vary based on age, breed, and a variety of other factors. Please see individual animal profiles on our Adoption page for specific pricing. Fees are subject to change at any time.
We occasionally offer discounts and special adoption promotions. Please follow us on Facebook and check our home page for timely updates. Call the shelter at 518.434.8128 if you have questions.