Humane Heroes was created for students entering grades 6-12 that will provide hands-on experience with animal care, humane education and animal shelter operations. This four-week program will allow participants to learn how to care for animals, work alongside shelter staff and learn the skills necessary for being an advocate for responsible pet ownership. The youth we select for this program must show a desire to better animals’ lives, take direction well and work hard.
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, July 13th
Space is limited to 50 participants. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the deadline.
Cost: $200. Siblings receive 15% off both registrations. The fee includes a t-shirt, name tag, training and supervision, activities, supplies, behind-the-scenes tours and educational seminars. (Limited scholarships are available based on financial needs.)
August 8-September 2
Monday-Friday 9:30 am-1:00 pm and 1:30 pm-5:00 pm
This program is currently full.
- Humane Heroes runs for four weeks
- Participants must be available to attend:
- One evening orientation with a parent/guardian: August 1 or August 3 from 6:00-7:00 pm
- One morning or afternoon shift during the first week (August 8-12) for an in-depth orientation
- A minimum of three morning or afternoon shifts during the remaining three weeks.
- Shifts are available Monday-Friday. You may choose from morning shifts (9:30 am-1:00 pm) and afternoon shifts (1:30-5:30 pm). You do not have to come in for the same shift every week.
- Choosing to participate more frequently (examples: all four weeks, full days, or multiple shifts each week) is an option and depends on space availability during any given week. Each shift will be capped at 8 individuals.
- Participants will be expected to follow current (at time of session) MHHS COVID-19 protocols.
- Questions? Please email HumaneEducation@mohawkhumane.org >>